Marinduque: The age-old beauty of Boac Cathedral

The Grand Boac Church

The beautiful Boac Church in Marinduque

Waking up early and taking pictures during the break of light at Gaspar Island made us famished. Hunger beckoned around 7am that we no longer explored the other 2 islands nearby and decided to head back for our much awaited breakfast. Food at the resort was so-so. After resting a bit we headed north. Had a short stop at Amoingan for an errand and then headed further up north to the island capital of Boac.

Boac Cathedral 3/4 view

Boac Cathedral 3/4 view

We took the the public jeep on the main highway just at the entrance of the resort. From Gasan to Amoingan, jeep took 30 minutes at around Php15 each. And from Amoingan we took a tryke all the way to Boac Cathedral for Php 8 per pax. The Boac Catherdral isn’t hard to find since it’s on top of a hill overlooking the whole Boac City. It used to be a fortress and refuge for the Filipinos during the Spanish time. Now it stood there high on a hill like a sentinel guarding its beloved city town.

Boac Cathedral Door Engravings

Boac Cathedral Door Engravings

Entering the cathedral gates led us face to face with one of the most beautiful old churches I’ve seen in our country. The terra cotta walls is similar to that of the Sta Cruz Church in its neighboring town. Structure is almost the same as well sans the protruding balcony on its main doors. The massive buttresses on the side of the church reminds me of another impressive church, San Agustin in Paoay Ilocos. This church was built 1666 in honor of the Blessed Virgin of Biglang-awa (Immediate Succor) but still retains its original facade and main body from its Fil-hispanic Gothic design.

Boac Cathedral Altar

Boac Cathedral Altar

As you go into the church, it’s hard not to stop and admire the elaborate display of its two wooden doors. The thick and old wooden doors are engraved with fine details of floras, cherubs and the images of the Four Evangelists: John, Luke, Mark and Matthew. The profuse floor patterns, wall-hung period lamps, Muslim gong inspired ceiling designs and an intricate altar blends together to make this one beautiful church.

Boac Cathedral Aisle

Boac Cathedral Aisle

As we may love to be awed more by the details of the church, there were a series of funeral services that we had to leave the premises in respect. A visit to Boac Cathedral is one sample of how a age old church preservation should be done.

25 Responses to “Marinduque: The age-old beauty of Boac Cathedral”

1. what a beautiful church talaga. the facade, the structure, the details. that door alone was fantastic.
    sayang lang nga at nataon tayo na dumalaw on a sunday and there were funeral ceremonies at almost every church we visited.

2. I dont recall seeing any red brick church in my travels. and it also has a wing-like projection just like Paoay.

3. ganda ng simbahan. i wonder if you already saw the dominican church in bayombong. red bricks din ang gamit sa harap. ang maganda pa dito, nasa taas pala to ng hill. ganda din ng interior. at yung pinto sana hindi masisira kasi konti na lang ang mga ganyang design. as always ferdz, ganda ng mga kuha.

4. wonderful Spanish architecture. I am gald the govt restored and preserved this historical edifices.

5. Onga Og, I like this church. Would have been great to shoot more if not for the service being held.

I hope as well Photo Cache, that they continue the preservation.

Yup Benj and Sinjin, the wingspan also reminds me of Paoay.

Thanks Allan, sayang nga di masyado naka shoot sa loob.

Thanks Dom! I haven’t seen the one in Bayombong yet. I hope they preserve that door. ganda talaga ng engravings.

Yes BW. I’m glad the local gov of Marinduque did their part on preserving this heritage treasure.

6. dodong flores

Superb photo documentation from Ferdz, as always…
    I hope the door engravings would last another hundred of years…

7. ganda ng church na ito. kung maraming wat sa Thailand, super dami naman ng magagandang churches dito sa Pinas. galing ng mga engravings kakabilib.

8. I am not a beach lover so I used Boac as my starting point to discover the island. It was a good choice since Boac has a lot of beautiful old houses and as you show us in your pictures, the Cathedral of Boac is a jewel.

9. Hi Dodong! Nice to hear from you again!

Nabilib din ako sa engravings first time I saw them Rayts!

There are lot of heritage houses in Boac Sidney. Similar to Vigan. Yup, this church is indeed a Jewel.

Thanks Mr Entrepreneur.

10. Now I know one thing we should see aside from the Moriones. Thanks for describing the church and the photos of the church. The buttresses do remind me of Paoay.

11. sonia michiai

pwede ko po bang malaman ang tel nos. ng boac church at mogpog church? may itatanong lang po about sa baptismal
    salamat po

12. when we are young we always go there.. pero yung floor nyan is talagang red na bricks … very antique talaga… at saka di pantay pantay noon. binago na kase…pero yung pinto talagang yan pa rin super ganda..antique.. … i miss you marinduque…

13. grace gutierrez

Amoingon po ‘yun…thanks for visiting our town…