Batanes: Accommodations and places to stay in Basco

Batanes Pension Ivatan Town Hometel Double Room

Batanes Pension Ivatan Double Room

(Updates: March 11,2014). The Travel eGuide Batanes now available for download here. It contains latest update with details on where to stay and eat, attractions and maps.
×

With more time to roam around Basco Batanes, I was able to see what has changed since last time I was there. Nothing much really aside from some re-construction of some buildings. What I noticed though are some changes and additions on accommodations in Basco. With the rise of tourist in Batanes, it’s a good thing there’s a growing number of places to stay in Basco. Here’s a nifty guide on where to stay in Basco with personal comments and impressions on each of them.

Batanes Pension Ivatan (Valugan)

Batanes Pension Ivatan Valugan Hometel

Pension Ivatan Hometels
Coming from the airport, their large banner is the first one you’ll see upon exiting the airport. Their main lodging is just beside the airport and they have another location in town at Babat St but the one location that really caught my attention was their Valugan Hometel. It’s like a beach house designed like an ivatan stone house that can house a family or a barkada of 4 to 5 pax for Php 2000 a night. It has full amenities, cable tv and a small swimming pool at the back. Located just along Valugan Beach.

Batanes Pension Ivatan

Batanes Pension Ivatan Town Hometel

Their town hometels has common areas with house amenities and basic rooms with air conditioning, en suite bathrooms for Php1000 to Php 1200 a night. It’s a pretty good and fare lodging. They also own Therese Coffee Shop which I personally find the food good and serves native Ivatan Dishes. Location is on the farther north east of town which is away from all the action. But if you don’t mind the long walks its a pretty good place to stay.

For inquiries contact +63939.207.46.43 or +63905.303.58.55 and email pensionivatan@yahoo.com.ph

Batanes Brandon's Lodge

Batanes Brandon’s Lodge

Brandon’s Lodge
This is where Pension Ivatan used to be but the place is now known as Brandon’s Lodge under a new management. Rooms are also priced Php 1000 and Php 1200 for double and queen sized bed. They have complete amenities and they also have a nice restaurant which opens from 7am to 11pm. Ivatan Dishes are also served here. Location is also on the North East of Town right smack where the National Road and Babat St meet.

For inquiries you may call Mrs Magdelena Siazon at +63919.366.21.58

Bataes Troy Lodge

Batanes Troy Lodge

Troy Lodge
I was actually looking for this place but found out they moved location from Babat St where Jens Peter’s book said is located. They are now located on a two story building right across Basco Hospital at the National Road. It looks pretty old. I didn’t get to see the rooms but I talked to the owner and said she has single and double fan rooms with communal bathrooms for Php 250 and Php 500 pesos. She said they have other rooms at 096 Argonza street. Pretty good place for backpackers saving their money.

Inquire with Erlinda Aberilla at +63920.447.07.26

Batanes DDD Habitat

Batanes DDD Habitat Lodge

DDD Habitat Lodge
Now this is fairly new. I accidentally passed by them at Llopes St when I was looking for a place to stay. At the time I was there, they have a soft opening of the place. I get to meet managers Myron and Noemi and they were happy to show me around the place. It’s a three story building and the roof top has a nice view of Basco town. Their double and single rooms look nice and are priced Php 1000 and Php600 respectively.

Batanes DDD Habitat Single Room

Batanes DDD Habitat Single Fan Room

When I was there, they were still installing airconditioning, fixing up the water supply and even installing wi-fi. By this time I believe everything have been taken care of and the lodging open. One complaint I have in the design is that the Restroom is communal and located at the hallway end near the doors near the single and double rooms. Aside from that it’s a pretty ok place. The lodging is owned by the same owners of Rex Bookstore.

UPDATE: I was told the issue with the Restroom has been fixed. And here are updated numbers:

For inquiries get in touch with Noemi S. Cruz at (02)6819085/ (02) 6473534, GLOBE +639065177580; SMART +639084641319 / +639098770044 or email dddhabitat@yahoo.com

Batanes Shanedel's Inn

Batanes Shanedel’s Inn

Shanedel’s Inn and Cafe
This is the place where we stayed a few days on a photo assignment. It’s one of the institutions in Batanes and has a nice strategic location by the National Road and only a few blocks at the heart of town. I find their rooms even their air conditioned rooms somewhat patched up. But their dining area has very nice ambiance and a splendid view of the sea. I also love the music they are playing here. Food is good but a little on the expensive side. Best to eat here with friends or family to share. Finally, Ma’am Dely, the owner is a really kind lady along with her little angel daughters. Rooms goes around for Php 750 (Single), Php 1000 (double) and Php 1200 (triple) fan rooms are Php 350 per head.

For Inquiries contact Dely Millan at +63920.447.07.37

Batanes Ivatan Lodge

Batanes Ivatan Lodge

Ivatan Lodge
Another institution of a lodge, Ivatan Lodge is actually the lodging I stayed first time I went to Batanes back in 2004. From the outside, the structure looks old and worn out. The ground floor is being occupied by a commercial office like PhilHealth and the rooms are at the second floor. I checked it out again and found nothing much has changed. I like the rooms here. Basic and clean with en suite bath rooms. Prices for fan rooms range from Php 300 (single), Php 400 (double), Php 600 (Triple), Php 750 (Family) and Php 1000 for airconditioned room. It’s a nice option for cheap rooms on good location.

Inquire with Mrs Margarita Varga at +63928.245.13.37

Batanes Seaside Lodge

Batanes Seaside Lodge

Batanes Seaside Lodge and Restaurant
I got to stay here in Batanes Seaside Lodge last year. It’s also on the national road but a bit farther down south after Shanedel’s Inn. Rooms are just ok. The roof top has good views of the sea but their food is satisfactory. The place is famous for having hosted the crew of the “forgettable” film Batanes. Standard rooms go for Php 1000 and Suite Rooms for Php 2000.

Inquire with Lydia Roberto at +63921.229.01.20, +63915.940.48.23 or email lroberto_seaside@yahoo.com

Batanes Fundacion Pacita

Batanes Fundacion Pacita

Fundacion Pacita
Probably the most expensive and high end accommodation in Batanes. Fundacion Pacita which used to be a gallery and foundation house before has been turned into a luxury accommodation in Barangay Tukon. The views here are certainly breathless and rooms very exquisite (expect for the loft which I find strange). Prices ranges from Php 4000 for the basics and going up to Php 7000 for premium rooms. I got to stay here for a night and I definitely loved it. If you have money to splurge, Fundacion Pacita is definitely a class on its own.

Checkout www.fundacionpacita.ph

Batanes Resort
I forgot to take photos of their resort but I’ve passed by it several times already. It has a nice location by the beach along the area of a Marine Sanctuary. Rooms which are built like stone houses are around Php 800 to Php 1000 for airconditioned and Php 550 to Php 764 for fan rooms. Views here is stunning, especially at sunset with the jagged coral stones jutting out of the sea. The only disadvantage here is that it is so far out of town, about 2km down south. They have a dining area though so you wouldn’t have to take a trip to the town.

Contact mobile at +6927.582.90.78 and in Manila at 927 2393.

Batanes Babat Homestay

Batanes Babat Homestay

Homestays
If you wanna go cheaper and have a big group with you and are self sufficient. It would be a nice alternative to look into homestays in Batanes. There is a Homestay Association that you can get in touch with here at +63926.901.56.89. Renting a whole house is popular as well like the Novita House (+639158865802) in Abuyo St which you can rent for Php 1500 per day and is good for 6-8 pax. A decent place with rooms, tv, refrigerator and kitchen where you can cook.

Batanes Babat Homestay

Batanes Babat Homestay Living Room

During my stay I availed of a homestay at Babat St. care of Mrs Helen Aberilla who I met in Batanes when I was asking directions on the street. It has several rooms and cost only Php 250 per room. But since there was no one on the two story house aside from the guard dog doing its regular rounds, I’m practically paying Php 250 for the whole house itself.

So there you go! I may have missed one or two accommodations there but this is most of it. Most of them have their own cotact for transportation rentals and package tours so it is best to inquire personally. I hope this helps in planning your trip in Batanes. Information may change but these are accurate from the time of this posts.

×

57 Responses to “Batanes: Accommodations and places to stay in Basco”

1. Very informative! If ever i’ll visit Batanes ill go back here and chat down notes. I’ll recommend this site to my friends who want to travel. = )

Thanks Ferdz.

2. Great places to stay at this very scenic location. It aint sky high to travel to this beautiful place.

3. this is very informative for batanes visitors whether new or returning back to the island. thanks for sharing amigo.

4. Novita House is good. We stayed there when we went to Basco… Caretaker was the best! So accommodating :) Binili pa nya kami ng lobsters then we just paid her kasi we didn’t have enough time to do it ourselves :)

5. christie

thank you for sharing ferdz! this will help a lot of people who are planning to visit batanes. i stayed at batanes resort and booked the closest cottage to the sea. it’s very relaxing in the morning because i can hear the waves from my room.

6. thanks a lot for sharing this ferdz. if i am to choose based on the photos, ill be choosing Batanes Pension Ivatan Valugan hometel, Batanes Shanedel’s Inn and with good budget, Batanes Fundacion Pacita. i really appreciate this accomodations review ferdz.

7. Many thanks for the referal Joel! I’m glad you found this informative.

True Major Tom. The price isn’t that high when looking for accommodations in Batanes.

My pleasure to share Og.

Schedule na Oman!

That hometel also caught my eye Sidney! Thanks for the visit.

I read it nga through your accounts Gail. Novita house is perfect for a group and nice of the caretaker to buy you guys some lobsters.

I love the scenery at Batanes Resort Christie. I gues if you really want to get close to nature, this is the place to be.

Thanks that you find this helpful Dom!

8. I like the facade of the DDD, parang condo unit. The fundacion pacita’s rates are quite high, I think really high for that location.

9. i was in a hurry the time i dropped by and left a note. i would like to add a few thoughts here: i think ang bentahe ng shanedel’s is the view of the bay and the hospitality of tita del and her family. i’ve always stayed with them and they were really helpful. nagulat ako at may aircon room na ang ivatan lodge. it’s not a bad place to stay rin naman for budget travelers. both are near the plaza and right smack on the national road so buying food from the sari-sari stores is just a matter of walking a few steps. seaside resort is a bit of a walk though. batanes resort will require transport.

i saw photo cache’s note on fundacion pacita’s rates. imo, the rates are based on the location which is one of the best places to wake up to in batan with the view of tukon bay and the kind of accommodation they offer (although any which way you look at it, 4,000 and 7,000 are really expensive rates). i’ll probably try homestays if and when i go back in the future.

10. this is helpful! i’ve always wanted to go to batanes but the steep price of the plane tickets is holding me back :S

i’ll keep this as reference

11. Thanks Ivy! Iget quite a number of queries on where to stay in Vasco so here’s my answer.

DDD stands out from the street Photo Cache. As for Fundacion Pacita, it sits on a very good location and the accommodations are really high class. Somehow it almost justifies its price.

Naku Og, Tita Dely of Shanedel’s will just pamper you on your stay, one of the kindest person I met in Batanes. And I love the ambiance of their dining area.

Hi Jasper! Just watch out for their prices once in a while. In times it drops to as low as 6k for a round trip. and there are other options when going to Batanes.

Thanks Pao!

12. Andrea

Thanks Ferdz, this surely will be very very helpful. We will be there 19-23 May and we will be guided by your experiences and suggestions. WE hope to be able to meet you in person, in the future.

13. nice one ferdz. kelan kaya ko makakapunta dito…puro plans na lang ako…kelan ko kaya magagawa? :(

14. Grace

Thanks for this information…Batanes is my dream place to visit…sooooon I will have a close encounter with them :))

15. marianne

very informative website & great pictures. im planning to go to batanes next month kaya lang wala pa ako kasama..takot daw sila ma stranded. do you think july is a ok month to go to batanes? regarding fundacion pacita, how far is it from shanedels if we want to eat/go there?

16. Wow naman, thanks sa info. Matagal ko ng balak ang pumunta ng Batanes, hopefully marating ko na ito by October or November pagbalik ko jan sa Pinas, miss na miss ko na talaga ang bansa natin, it’s been a long time na to visit my own country at ma explore ang buong kapuluan. Thanks again

17. Hi Ferdz, Thank you for posting our lodging house ,DDD Habitat,here in your website. just want to update you and your friends here….nag start na ang operation namin…at kasalukuyang inaayos na namin ang comfort rooms….so no worries about the CR. Sana visit ka uli sa place namin pagbalik mo sa Batanes.

18. greg rizal

your site has the best information about batanes lodging that i have seen. thank you.
    is it true that batanes resort has increased their rates to P1800?

19. Ferdz, just want to post new and more contact numbers of DDD Habitat Lodging House …we have main office in Pasig City- LANDLINE NOS. (02)6819085/ (02) 6473534 FAX NO. (02) 2491526 / New Moblie Phone numbers are : GLOBE +639065177580; SMART +639084641319 / +639098770044 EMAIL ADD – dddhabitat@yahoo.com ..Thanks so much!

20. Charlotte

Hi Ferdz,

I find this page very informative. We’re planning to go to Batanes next year, hopefully matuloy na and as early as possible we would like to know the damages(budget). hehehe

Btw, what about the land transpo sa Basco? Hindi naman mahirap if we just want to go around by ourselves?

Thanks!
    Charlotte

21. very helpful site. would like to ask though — which is better in terms of room accommodation — DDD or Shanedel’s? we’re planning to go this april and we’re choosing between the two ;) tx!

22. maritoni

Hi! Thanks for a very informative blog. My family & I are planning to visit Batanes after Holy Week & we’re were thinking of staying at Batanes Resort but now I’m thinking of Homestay accommodations because it comes out cheaper. What is the contact number of the Babat Homestay you stayed in? Are this & the Novita House within the town proper? Is this near restaurant or canteen in case we don’t want to cook & prefer to eat out?

Also, do you advise that we get a tour package or we do it ourselves? Like we just hire a van for the day without a tour guide? Is it easy lang ba to get transpo in Batanes? The plane fare kasi is super expensive so we’re trying to find ways to make tipid. :)

Tks! Hope to hear from you soon! :)

23. HI Guys! Sorry if I couldn’t respond as prompt as I could.

Hi Naya! Shanedels has better view but rooms are so-so. DDD Habitat is at the center of town and is just new so expect the rooms to be nice.

Hello Maritoni! The Babat is private will ask permission first. The Novita house is ok. Both are at the town center of Basco. It’s easy to get transpo there but if you guys are first timer, it’s better to hire a guide to better appreciate the place. Yes, there are numerous eateries and restaurants in Basco. Check out our happyfoodies post on basco here http://www.happyfoodies.com/2009/05/18/where-to-eat-when-in-basco-batanes/

Hope that helps

24. maritoni

Hi! I already talked to the owners of Novita house so no need anymore for the number of Babat house but thanks anyway. :) Yup, I looked at the post you mentioned about where to eat in batanes. We will definitely try them. :)

25. hello, do you have contact details for Babat homestay? and of all the lodgings here, ano yung pinaka accessible sa mga tourist spots? :) thanks! :)

26. Hi Ferdz, thank you for including Novita House in your reviews. By the way, we just would like to update our contact numbers (0927-412-1031/0928-239-7629)
    and our new website, http://www.novitahouse.com

To Ms. Gail, we have not had the chance to thank you and your group but we’ve read about your blogs about Batanes and Novita House.

Many thanks to all of you for visiting Batanes!

27. Hi All,

Thanks for this information. My gf and I are planning to have a trip this Summer. Can I know if there’s an alternate route besides the expensive direct flight of SEAir?

Thanks.

28. pointNshoot

share ko lang, may promo ang seair till mar 25. airfare can go down for as low as 6k roundtrip. =)

29. Hi! Not for nothing but the ride to Sabtang looks scarier in the afternoons than it appeared to be, no?
    I’ve a booked RT tickets for June but still torn between remote Batanes Resort and centrally located Batanes DDD Habitat Lodge.
    Meanwhile, I’ve a question: Is there a motorcycle-for-rent? I’d like to drive around the island on a motorbike so I can do the tour at my own leisurely pace.
    By the way, you posts about Batanes gave me so much information. Thanks and more power!

30. Flotsam

Hi! Great site, very helpful! convince me all the more to go! Im so psyched to go to Batanes…. I’ve booked a RT flight end of june and staying at Batanes seaside lodge. Haven’t decided whether to avail of the tours (kc 2 lang kmi) or just go and wing it.. Any suggestions? Thanks!

31. thanks for this.. very helpful info. we are two ladies going to batanes in a few weeks looking for a cheap, conveniently located & no frills accomodation. it seems that Ivatan Lodge is a suitable place. would you recommend it? what could be their downside? By the way, would you recommend a diy tour over a packaged tour? thanks!

32. Menthol B

Hi
    Will be going to Batanes this month and do not have time to really plan. With the exception of Fundacion, which lodging places would have the cleanest rooms and which would you recommend. We are a party of 2, travelling there for the first time and intends to gp for tours when we get there.
    Thanks

33. Hi, Thanks for the infos! It’s really nice to know all of these. We are going to Batanes this October. I am looking for a travel tour packages with accommodations online, but they are all expensive! Thankfully, I found your site and that makes me realized that we’ll stay one of these inns instead and just ask for a local tour guide to help us out during our stay. If I’m not mistaken, I also did see your feature about Mt. Pinatubo or the Capone’s island? Can’t actually remember it. ;) But we had a great time trekking the crater of Pinatubo and exploring the Capone’s island.

Once again thank you!

=)

34. rody silva

stayed at seaside lodge last 16-19 june, 2010 with my spouse, the spice of my life. nice accomodations. saw shanedel when i took an early morning walk on the 19th. may try it next time. better yet, why not retire in batanes?? the province has a grip on me like no other place i’v visited. i do calderetta most excellently, ahem. with the many goats on the islands, i can support myself as a cook. maybe lydia roberto will hire me as a cook at hiro’s cafe.

35. Nice post, a very comprehensive one.

However, do you have the updated accomodation costs in each of the featured hometels? we were planning to visit Batanes in Feb 2011 and we haven’t decided yet on making our trip with a travel agency or by ourselves only. so if we can accumulate infos favorable to us, we would opt to make our own itinerary.

thanks to advise us.

36. sunnyfunny

Thank you for this very informative blog/article. It will surely help us decide where to stay when we visit next year. God bless :)

37. Hi Ferdz, very informative blog you’ve got. I wonder about the level of security on those cheap stays? We will be leaving a few things on those rooms while we roam around the island, and I am concerned as to the safety of our valuables.

Thanks.

38. Anthony Chua

Very informative site for me as I will be visiting Batanes for the 1st time next year. May I ask something? I read somewhere from someone’s post in another forum that they got a town map of Basco from this site. Yet I can’t seem to find it. Can you send me the map via email or at least the link? Thanks much!

39. Mylene Aberilla Buck

My grandfather was from Batanes and I have never set foot on that island. There was always a storm that cancelled my trip. My grandfather told us we still have relatives there and I would really like to meet them. He told me how he used to swim as a boy to an underwater cave off the beach where his family lived and found some old bones of a 6’4″ tall person. He himself was almost 6′, pretty unusual for a Filipino, and his mom was supposedly almost as tall as he.

40. hello, ferdz.

May I know the number of Ms. Helen of the Babat House. We are on a tight budget. Is the Babt House comparable to Novita house? Thanks.

41. Hi.

My friend and I will be going there next month. I’ve been looking for a cheap accomodation. I tried calling ivatan lodge by the number in this website/blog. The one who answered said it’s a wrong number. My sister called them up a few days ago but the one who answered was very rude. I’ll try calling Babat House next week.

42. Hi!! anyone here can give me any contact details or email of SHanedel’s inn??
    I really need it…

43. thanks a lot 4 the post…. it wud help us a lot…. we wanna go there dis summer nand we r n search 4 a nice but cheaper accomdation… :)

44. Sakto! Thanks for the blog… tips for trips esp. options for accommodation like this really helps for travelers like me, who’s bound to place for the first time. Salamat po!

45. arjhe

ivatan lodge 4 me is a nice home far from home.. nice room, ambiance, and friendly staff… i miss batanes……….