Baguio: The Lost Cemetery of Negativism

Cemetery of Negativism

Enter the Cemetery of Negativism

It has been a tradition in the Philippines that during Halloween All Saint’s Day, people would visit the graves of their departed love ones in the cemetery. Candles are lit in remembrance of their souls. The cemetery becomes the focal point of the season were people flock to. But there is one other cemetery in the country where people visit not for their late relatives or friends but for the negative traits people buried in this hill. It’s the Cemetery of Negativism also called the Lost Cemetery found near the historical core of Camp John Hay, Baguio.

Cemetery of Negativism

The tombstones at the graveyard

Written on the entrance of the Cemetery of Negativism:

“Negativism is man’s greatest self imposed infliction, his most limiting factor, his heaviest burden.

No more, for here is buried the world’s negativism for all time. Those who rest here have died not in vain – but for you a stern reminder — as you leave this hill remember that the rest of your life, Be more positive.

Have a good day! – Treat today like it’s your last – though it’s the first of the rest… “ – CJH

Cemetery of Negativism

Strolling along the Lost Cemetery

It was said that way back in the 80’s, soldiers at Camp John Hay were thought that negative thoughts can be unproductive and limit their potentials. So they were asked to gather all these thoughts and bury them on that little hill which they call the Cemetery of Negativism. While the cemetery is only a symbolical representation, it was told that way back they actually do a mock funeral to seal the act.

Cemetery of Negativism

Why Dident I? Born ?? Lived Wondering Why, Died for no reason

The graveyard looks more like a pet cemetery with small tombstones and figures on them. There are about 15 of them there with each epitaph has a dash of witticism written on it. The cemetery is the brainchild of Base Commander Major John Hightower who served at Camp John Hay from 1979 to 1982. The commander was known to have unorthodox yet creative methods in leadership. He thought it would be great to infuse some humor in the camp by putting up this cemetery.

Cemetery of Negativism

Letz Study It

The cemetery only has a small area and it’s a nice stroll especially with Baguio’s cool and crisp air to go along. The tombstones seem to have been repainted recently but dome of the figures had already been damaged probably by age. The written words on the epitaph and the figures are witty but at the same time something to ponder on.

Cemetery of Negativism

Blame Mi Will Ya

Words like “Why Dident I?” evokes feelings of regret of having not decided to live or chose to do something before and plagued by these thoughts till the very end. “Letz study it” tells of a trait engrossed on theoretical thinking instead of actual doing. Something like an Analysis Paralysis.

Cemetery of Negativism

I’m n only chile

The 20 Pesos entrance at Camp John Hay Historical Core, also gives access to the Cemetery of Negativism. When there, I would suggest a quick stroll on this little hill and try to ponder on the phrases written on epitaphs and their accompanying figures. With negativity all around this little hill would remind us to bury all our negative thoughts and focus on the positive things in life.

Happy Halloween! All Saint’s Day! All Soul’s Day!

15 Responses to “Baguio: The Lost Cemetery of Negativism”

1. That is soooo interesting… and weird, as well. The fog makes the place look spooky. But I like the idea of burying the negativism.

2. ive been to this place twice but never had the chance to bury something out of my mind. quite unique for baguio.

3. Looks cool. I want to bury my negative thoughts there someday. Maybe next year. Thanks for the info. I did have fun reading it. ^_^

4. Ferdz, I love your photographs and essays. I’d like to point out a minor item, however. Halloween is October 31st, All Hallows Eve. Hallow in old English means holy. It’s used in the Our Father: hallowed be they name. Hallow e’en means Hallow eve, the day before All Hallows.

The Filipino tradition of visiting the graves of departed loved ones is practiced not on All Hallows Eve or Halloween (October 31st) but on All Saints Day itself (November 1st), as well as the following day, All Souls Day. The tradition comes from the Spanish friars teaching us Filipinos that if our departed loved ones led good lives, then they would have become saints in heaven in the afterlife. Thus we honor them on All Saints Day, believing or hoping that they are now saints in heaven.

• nicanorr

Good info especially for the guidance of young Halloween practitioners. Happy Halloween celebration to all!

5. been here many years ago! it was fun reading each “tombstone.” the paint looks more vibrant …and they charge entrance fees now?

love the mist surrounding this “cemetery”!

6. Sounds like a fun place to bury one’s negativity in. I sure need one :D I agree, the foggy conditions make the place like it belongs to a horror movie. Love the dog sa Blame Mi Will Ya :)

7. hi ferdz…nice blogging thing…how are you….and yeah…please update me…,if u dont mind…i wanna hear from u really…anytime…

thanks sa lahat.

8. kakahiya. tagal ko sa baguio pero di ko pa napuntahan to. next time isasama ko to sa itinerary ko.

9. Thanks Toe! Yes a bit wierd but interesting at the same time :D

Yep Dom! I think Baguio is the only place that have this

Glad you liked it Meynard

Haha. I like the Mist Joycee

Thanks for the the clarification Vic.

Hi Fortuitous Faery! The Fee is for the whole Historical Core in which this cemetery is part of. I had fun looking at them as well

I also loved the misty conditions Og! Adds to the mood really.

HI Eci! Nice to hear from you there in US.

Onga Oman, it’s a nice side trip.

True Nicholas :)

10. woah! I didn’t that this still exists! thanks ferdz! It was been there since I was a kid… I bring my kid soon there!