Ifugao: Experience the Banaue Ethnic Village

Banaue Ethnic Village

Ifugao Native House lodgings

Have you ever wondered how it’s like to sleep at one of those native Ifugao houses? Waking up with the cold mountain air and opening your windows to the soothing sights of pine trees swaying? The first time I went to Banaue, I was able to sleep at one of those native houses on top of a terrace in Bangaan. I enjoyed the cool space and walking the wooden floors with my bare feet. Little did I know that there’s a place closer to Banaue town proper until we found Banaue Ethnic Village and Pine Forest Resort.

Banaue Ethnic Village

The Ethnic village settled on a mountain slope

From Banaue town we took a tricycle to take us to Banaue Ethnic Village. It’s about 2 km away past the main Banaue Viewpoint which is also approximately 6km from town proper. But the ride didn’t feel that long since the road is well paved. Our driver dropped us off at the entrance and would wait for us there.

Banaue Ethnic Village Natural Pool and Huts

Pools with water from natural spring

From the entrance we were already impressed on how neat the pebbled road and tall pine trees led to the main area of the resort. The area was spacious and very picturesque, sitting on a gentle mountain slope surrounded by pine trees. My GPS reads that we were already 1600meters above sea level which explains the cool wind.

Banaue Ethnic Village

Ifugao design by the door

We were able to take a tour of the place and see what it offers. From the conference area, we were led to the lodging area. The lodging here are the native Ifugao Houses which are slightly modified in the interiors. But the exterior is still done how the ifugaos naturally do it. Just below is a natural pool with water coming from the mountain spring.

Banaue Ethnic Village

Boating and Fishing Area

The place is also flanked by a river on one side so there is a nice boating and fishing area. I heard that they also plan to put a cable car for additional activity. One scenario I could imagine here are campfire stories there at night.

Banaue Ethnic Village

Evolution of Ifugao Houses

Aside from the Native Lodging houses, the resort also host cultural and educational activities. They have a live museum where you could see the evolution of ifugao houses. Apart from that, they have lectures on ifugao Culture and Traditions, Cultural Shows and Native Ritual Performances.

Banaue Ethnic Village Sppons

Ifugao Spoons

I really like this place as it is very relaxing and ideal for learning. This is where the first Backpack Photography Workshop would be held. If you are interested to learn Photography on this idyllic backdrop while immersing in Ifugao culture, join the Backpack Photography 101 Workshop on March 19-21, 2010. Check here for more details.

Banaue Ethnic Village Carvings

Ifugao Wood Carvings

Banaue Ethnic Village and Pine Forest Resort
Aparnga-O, Viewpoint, Banaue, Ifugao,
Tel: (074) 386.4082
Andres: 09203493259
Florence: 09196142266

13 Responses to “Ifugao: Experience the Banaue Ethnic Village”

1. definitely a very chilling and relaxing place..

a great break away from the hectic life….

how i wish i am in your position now.. can travel so much!

2. *imagines the campfire stories* hehe. it would be nice to have one over there.. :) hehe. nice nice. thanks for sharing this one… will one day be there.. :)

3. I really love staying at places such as these. If time and money permits, I will definitely bring my family here and enjoy the goodness of nature. thanks for sharing.

4. Cool! I’ve heard a lot about Philippines and how nice their country is. It’s a multi ethnic country I guess. Maybe some other time, me and my group at Blend Images will have the opportunity to visit the country and we’ll definitely share multicultural imagery with you guys. Great pictures you posted, really compelling.

5. Very tranquil and the lush of nature calms the soul. I would love to wake up early morning as the sun rises in this place. Lovely :cool:

6. I am glad i did not see this post before going there with the BP 101 Workshop. This might have given me expectations and might have lessened the impacts. Banaue Ethnic Village is really fully recommended, take it from a well-travelled person like me. I’ve travelled from A to T, not Z because i have not been to Zimbabwe. Lol. Joke folks, just a little bit of travelling once-in-a while. But it would not have been as impressive and wonderful if not for the Backpack Photography 101 Workshop, which was very well planned and responsibly implemented. I specifically appreciated their sensitivity to our needs, not only the photography part. And their friendship radiated and infected all of us. Contagious baga! In effect, we came home contented and bonded, missing everyone too and hoping for more. And the fun, learning and bonding continue to…. Batanes….Salamat po! (Baka manalo ulit ako a! hehe).

7. the place is full of flies! We heard there is a nearby dumpsite so you will be swarmed with thousands of flies all day and even night time while you are sleeping. If you think this is part of your nature trip experience, then have a nice stay! Goodluck for your health!

8. Hi Dr T. Let me correct you though. The flies aren’t always there. And they didn’t come from a dumpsite since I saw none there but from the Organic Farm they have. The people there wold supply candles to get rid of the flies.

9. abelardo

.flies?huh.>.where the place did you sleep.
    .our place is so natural..not that polluted.