El Nido: Miniloc Island’s Secret Lagoon Beach

EL Nido Miniloc Secret Lagoon Beach

Lost in thought at Secret Lagoon Beach

Exploration of Miniloc Island continues. We passed over the exclusive Miniloc Resort under El Nido Resorts since it’s private, we can’t go down there. And just when we thought we had enough of the Lagoons, we found ourselves on a very scenic beach called the Secret Lagoon Beach. A couple of playful puppies welcomed us at the beach on where would be our lunch stop for the day.

EL Nido Miniloc Secret Lagoon Beach

In search of the Secret Lagoon

Of course the first thing I was searching for was the lagoon where it was named after. Felix pointed on the limestone walls at the edge of the beach and I saw a few foreigners coming from there so I followed the trail. I saw a small hole large enough to fit a person through. I just sat down on one side, crossed over one leg then followed by the other then I’m in the enclosed lagoon.

EL Nido Miniloc Secret Lagoon

The Secret Lagoon

I was joined by this European couple who struck up a conversation with me because we use similar brands of camera – Olympus. There are only a few of us so we’re always glad to see fellow users when traveling. As for the lagoon, it is nice and small. I heard from the local guide with the couple that the middle part is pretty deep. Someone almost drowned there. Why is it most of the guides highlight the tragic event that occurred on a place? Anyway, at least they are honest.

EL Nido Miniloc Secret Lagoon Beach

Interesting rock formations at the beach

It seems that most Tour A boats stop on this beach for lunch. I noticed a few boats docked on the beach and a few foreigners roaming around while each of our boatmen does the cooking. I guess it’s the perfect place for a lunch place. There’s a large shaded area at the back, a good growth of palm trees for the perfect shade and a nice stretch of beach for exploration, which I did while waiting for our lunch to be cooked.

EL Nido Miniloc Secret Lagoon Lunch

Our yummy lunch

We got a pleasant surprise when we saw our lunch neatly prepared with the pineapples sliced and styled amusingly. From the grilled fish, tomato and onion salad to the pineapple slices, everything just tasted great. Food always seems to taste great when eaten outside on a setting like this by the beach. It must be the ambiance, the air and the sea. Everything is organic and natural.

EL Nido Miniloc Secret Lagoon Beach

Beach and towering karst

We spent a few minutes just chilling under the shade after that lunch. It’s so easy to just get lost in thought here. The view of the beach, the dramatic limestones far ahead, now this is the island life one could dream of. The only thing that could ruin one’s reverie is for a single coconut to drop on my head and tell me it’s time to move on. I didn’t wait for that sole coconut on the tree I’m under to fall of course. There are more islands to explore so we better get moving.

EL Nido Miniloc Secret Lagoon Beach

Lazing under the shade at Miniloc Island’s Secret Lagoon Beach<

Backpack Photography Batanes
Join our next Backpack Photography series, Batanes Outdoor and Travel for on June 24-27, 2010. Take advantage of Seair’s Lean Season Promo on flights to Batanes until May 15. Check details here.

16 Responses to “El Nido: Miniloc Island’s Secret Lagoon Beach”

1. Reading your El Nido post also reminds me of the Amazing Race (5?) when the competing teams visited one of these enchanting islands in El Nido.

2. Why is it most of the guides highlight the tragic event that occurred on a place? Anyway, at least they are honest.>>> lol. tama. awesome el nido. this post is actually a torture because i cant wait to be there months from now. salamat ferdz for the feature.

i hope i get to meet olympus users too during my travels.

3. I remember seeing that episode Nomadic Pinoy, I think it was the Black Island where they climbed the cliff. I also remembered one of the couples there returned here in El Nido.

That’s only a few months wait Dom! I guess the guides just want to warn tourist of the dangers of the place. I’m sure you’ll get to meet other Oly users when traveling.

4. Maybe the guides were warning tourists not to become complacent in paradise because at times, overeager tourists become carried away by the beautiful scenery and forget to become more safety-conscious. This secret lagoon is so nice. I want to keep bumping my head on the table for not joining this trip but I guess that’s life. Maybe one day soon, I’ll be able to go to El Nido.

5. “From the grilled fish, tomato and onion salad to the pineapple slices, everything just tasted great. Food always seems to taste great when eaten outside on a setting like this by the beach.” — indeed, it was. part tlaga ng el nido experience iyong lunch picnic sa island. also, el nido is one of two places where the boatman/guide is also the cook. kaya naman feeling at home tlaga, tapus concern pa sila sa safety ng guests. thanks sa post. (Php 500 pa rin ba ang day tour?)

6. True Og! Maybe it’s just a reminder to the tourist not to be too complacent.

Hi Jaki! Yup for tour A 500 per pax is the lowest we saw. Not only they can cook but style the food as well :D

7. I especially enjoyed looking at your 5th pic (a lunch to die for kung may sili at magkakamay) and the last pic, preferably without the bikini-clad girl marring the picture perfect scene.

8. I’m so glad you are featuring all these beautiful spots. I am ashamed to say I know exactly next to nothing about my country of birth, but thanks to you now I know where to start when vacation plans are being made.

9. terrific site. ironic that i have not been to these lovely places in our country. your pictures are enough for me to indulge for now.

10. It is embarrassing to be in so many places much far, but haven’t been to El Nido yet. I’ve toured places on my own and wonder why i am afraid to go there alone. Maybe i should try a Loids style here in the country. Oggie let’s go there together, hehe. Please!!!

11. Haha thanks BertN! It’s really fun to eat that way, even with your hands :D

Glad to hear my post entices you to plan a vacation here, Photo Cache! Hold on as there are a lot more to come.

El Nido is truly amazing Bing!

Yeah you should try Loid’s style of traveling din Nids. Onga yayain mo si Og!

12. the first pic is very pretty.. hmm, nice healthy lunch. I like the lunch even more if there are no spoon and forks around hehe :)

13. darkskies

Hi, Ferdz, impressive photographs. Is it possible to camp or set up a tent for the night in one of the islands? Are you saying that Black Island is not a “safe” place to visit?

14. Thanks Eric!

Hi BW! Yep, there is spoon and fork provided :D

Hi Darkskies! Yes, you can spend the night at some of the islands and camp there. Hmm I didn’t mention any Black Island, it’s just people should be careful going around the islands as there are parts that can be dangerous.