In Transit: Manila to Naga via the Revived PNR Bicol Express Connection

The revived Bicol Express Train
The revived Bicol Express Train

I hear the heavy clacking sound of the engines as it starts and the loud honk of the train signalling any living beings to move away from its path. There’s a low grumbling noise under my feet as if something just woke up from a long time slumber. Yes, the Philippine National Railways has revived the Bicol Express and just last night, it started its first commercial run in years. Like a dragon that just woke up, the train howled as it cuts through urban Manila as it heads to Naga City in Bicol.

Old and New PNR Trains
Old and New PNR Trains

A gnawing scenery of slums, dilapidated houses and portraits of poverty parade through the windows as the train makes its way out of Manila and some areas of the provinces we passed through. Perhaps one of the reasons it took some time to revive the Bicol Express Line was the sorry state of the surrounding areas of the rail tracks where people would salvage metals and communities living on the tracks are throwing rocks ( I counted 3 while I was awake) to show how unwelcome the train was. But despite this challenge, I must commend the PNR to have finally revived the line even if it took them quite a while.

The Sleeper Coach Hallway
The Sleeper Coach Hallway

Currently, the Bicol Express is still at its “soft-opening” stage. The staffs at the ticket counter are still grasping the booking system, the guards at the carts still have no idea which cart number or a certain berth area is. That’s understandable since it’s new and there are only a few coaches available. There are 60 reclining and rotating chairs at the last cart and 30 berths on the other 4 carts. PNR is expecting more coaches to be delivered from Japan when it goes full blast by September.

The sleeper is divided in four comfortable berths
The sleeper is divided in four comfortable berths

I stayed at the sleeper area and I found the berths large, soft and comfortable. Better than the ones I tried in Vietnam going to Sapa. Currently there are no pillows or blankets available so it’s advisable to bring them since the airconditioning really gets cool up to a freezing point in the early morning.

Curtains can be closed and each has a personal lamp
Curtains can be closed and each has a personal lamp

The reclining seats area also has very spacious reclining/rotating chairs. I tried them and I found them very comfortable with spacious seats for on an economical price. This definitely tops the hard seat from my 16 hour train ride in China, the cheapest option they have. The restroom and wash area, being new is quite clean at this time. A little cramped but that’s something I would expect on a train.

The wide spaced and comfotable reclining seats
The wide spaced and comfotable reclining seats

There is no food and dining carts yet so bring enough food to go by the night, but hot water is available and there are no stops to buy food along the way. Eventually a dining coach would be added once its operation is full blast.

The reclining Seats Coach with entertainment screens
The reclining Seats Coach with entertainment screens

Being the first commercial run and even having done a few test runs prior to this, unexpected things can still happen. On our way to Sipucot, Camarines Sur, we were stopped halfway from Lupi by the locals at Malaguico to warn us of the condition of a rail track. Heavy rains the other night softened the soil and ground causing the tracks to be misaligned. Good thing we were warned as passing through would have been disastrous.

Clean Restroom and wash area
Clean Restroom and wash area

It would took a while to fix the tracks so some of the passengers opted to take the rail skates to Sipucot while the others like me waited for the PNR Commuter Train from Naga which they contacted. I reached Naga fine and enjoyed the sights we passed by. I think if I’ll take the train again, I’d rather take the day schedule so I could enjoy the scenery. According to reports, the Bicol Express train reached Naga before noon.

Train tracks trouble at Maligaco
Train tracks trouble at Malaguico

I like taking the train, as to quote Paul Theroux on his book Ghost Train to the Eastern Star “…probably the best way of getting a glimpse of how people actually live – the back yards, the barns, the hovels, the side roads and slums, the telling facts of village life, the misery that planes flyover. Yes, the train takes more time, and many trains are dirty, but so what? Delay and dirt are the realities of the most rewarding travel”

Locals uses the rail skates to travel to school and work
Locals uses the rail skates to travel to school and work

There are still areas need to fix, tracks to rehabilitate, but as of the moment, I’m just glad the PNR resumed their operations to Bicol and is on the right direction on strengthening our transportation infrastructure which the country badly needs.

This boy ready to go to school via the rail skates
This boy ready to go to school via the rail skates

Bicol Express Train Schedules:
Manila to Naga leaves Tutuban Station by 6:15pm arriving tentatively by 4:15am. Currently there is only 1 trip leaving for Bicol. Pick-up points would be Tutuban, Pasay Road and Alabang

Naga to Manila leaves Naga Station at 7:15pm arriving 5:15am the next day.
(Update July 1) Currently The Naga and Manila schedules operate on alternating days. They expect daily trips on both ends by July 15, 2011. The engineers already worked on the section at Sipucot.

The PNR Bicol Commuter Train comes to the rescue
The PNR Bicol Commuter Train comes to the rescue

Train Fares:
The Sleeper Berth cost P950
The Reclining Seats cost P548
*Update: PNR Operations to Bicol just resumed last Sept 5, 2011

For more information and seat reservation please call PNR Operations:
Tel: 319-0041 local 122

107 Responses to “In Transit: Manila to Naga via the Revived PNR Bicol Express Connection”

1. You got to ride its maiden voyage. Awesome!
    Being half-Bicolana, i’m happy that they resumed the trains’ operation. I hope everything goes well from hereon out. I remember riding the old PNR when I was younger when we’d have to go home on a quick notice coz plane tickets were very much expensive then and though buses were cheaper, they weren’t as cheap as the trains. :)

2. ahh, this gives me a lot of hope about our tourism and its much-needed efficient transport system. loving the new look of the revived trains especially the clean, clean restroom. :)

• I was also surprised at the quality of the sleeping berths and the reclining seats as well :D

3. wow! those train seats / compartments look much better than i expected. As long as they maintain the CRs and start serving food and drinks, this should be a real great experience!!

can’t wait till they operate at full blast.

4. Jun of Pio del Pilar, Makati

I am so excited to take the train again to Bicol. My last ride on the train was way back in 1969 when my father took me to a vacation in his hometown of Casiguran in Sorsogon. Though I sat on a big can of mixed biscuits from Pio del Pilar station all the way to Legazpi city, I enjoyed the trip (way back then, the Bicol train coaches were always fully occupied by travellers) . There were many scenic spots I saw and the sunrise by the sea in one of the towns in Quezon was really amazing. Now that the train is back, it is my turn to take my son for a train ride to Bicol and head to Legazpi City.

• I’m glad you’re son would get to experience the train as well. I really like this mode of travel too

5. a great step in providing a quality mode of transportation.
    thaks for the tour Ferdz! thumbs up!

6. Riding the Bicol Express is something I’ll look forward when I visit Pinas. I hope the authorities can find a way to deter those rock throwers! Is this a cheap thrill for them or an expression of anger at the PNR, the passengers or something?

7. wow! as opposed to my image of the interior, the train looks rather clean and neat and much comfortable than i thought it would be. can’t wait to try this out soon!

• Yep since it’s quite new too. But I’m glad it was really spacious than I was expecting

8. Bata pa ko, gusto ko na ma-experience riding a train to Bicol. How’s the security? :)

9. Looking forward to trying this on a future trip.

I just hope the tracks will be properly maintained – and no one again steals part of the tracks (as what I heard happened before)

• Yes! That’s the challenging part since there is really no barrier between these tracks and the community along them

10. Nice blog. It’s great that you experienced it first. :o) hopefully I get to try it as well. thanks for the info.

11. edwin

i want to correct you, the place where the train stops due to the erode part of the tracks is malaguico, sipocot, camarines sur not maligaco…i was there in the bct…

12. Thanks for sharing this post sir!.. I was looking for an updated info about the train scheds and routes to Bicol but found incorrect ones. :) Luckily I found this shared on my FB wall and it showed me a glimpse of the new PNR train.. especially how the seats and restrooms Looking forward to a trip to Sipocot or Naga by next weekend!.. :) This looks promising! :)

13. pinoydad

Thanks for the share. Nice photos too. Would you by any chance know if the second trip (last night) made it on time to Naga? Were there no more hitches? My friend is scheduled to go to Naga on Sunday, I told her to try the train instead, that would be fun – she will be travelling with a little boy in tow. Thanks again

• Hi PinoyDad! The PNR Train made it back to Manila without a hassle. The Engineers already worked on that portion where we were delayed

14. Airnel

Well written article. I am sure you experience as well the culture among train passengers that you will not find to bus riders. I’ve been riding the Bicol express since 2005 until its stoppage in 2006. I’ve joined the prior test runs as well. Riding trains is more practical and really mass oriented since this is the primary transportation among developed countries. Especially we are the one of the first Asia to have a railway system. Since 1892. :)

15. Hi Ferdz, great pics! Nakaka-enganyo tuloy magplano ng last-minute out-of-town joyride, hahaha :) for the sleeping berths, one section can hold up to 4 pax ba? Parang I noticed there are beds on top. Also, for the Pasay pick-up point, what time does it pass that area, and do riders pay the same full fare?

Best,
    Rezy

• Hi Rezy! Yup, it’s up and down. The train leaves tutuban at 6:15pm so expect around 20+ minutes or so for the Pasay Road pickup. Yup, same fare for everyone regardless of pickup points

16. Thanks for shedding more light on this Ferdz.

I was already quite thrilled when I heard about the Bicol Express being brought back.
    THen I read about a friend’s boarding it in the final test run this month.

And your article above is just like cherry on the top of my sundae. Can’t wait to try this out!

17. It looks nice and clean inside. But the railroad tracks are quite a sight with the people and those makeshift trains. :) I remember my lolo used to take that train. Good they revived it. Hope they develop the Philippines’ railroad system… this will really unclog our highways.

I just took the fast train here in Russia last weekend. Very modern and classy.

Interesting post as usual. :)

18. I so wanna try this! thank you for the sched, the great pics and the rates. i was looking for them. :)

19. Thank you very much for this. I’m glad that inspite of the hitches during the revival run, you decided to look at it from a positive light. While many people, particularly in the traditional media (De Castro of Ch. 2 and Enriquez of Ch. 7) were just waiting for something wrong to happen and make a big issue of out it, you chose to highlight the bright side. I am a Bicolano and I look forward to really riding the train again which I’m sure will trigger a flood of memories for me. Your article has already done that.

• Hi Chito! I haven’t seen the TV coverages yet. I wasn’t expecting everything to be perfect for a “Soft Run” so I didn’t make a big deal out of it. I do hope that the PNR would strengthen the rail tracks more to avoid any unnecessary hitches in the future.

20. This is good news and will definitely makes Bicol trip more exciting. I have lots of friends there and I want to try the trains too.
    Hopefully they could also do something with the squatters living near the tracks. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

21. francis jay

Hi Fredz, thanks for the info, nakakamissed kasi umuwi ng bicol pag nakasakay ng train, sobrang saya, although cheap ang pamasahe pero sulit din :-)

22. some of my officemates talked about trying this one out later this year. thanks for the great article, Ferdz!

23. twinsouls

great….i am a traveler manila to bicol…at last i can ride in a train when im going home to Bicol

24. It’s nice to know train going to bicol is now functioning… I’m hoping it’ll reach our place (Guinobatan). Not just Camarines Sur.

• I’m not sure about Guinobatan but they do plan to extend it up to Legazpi as soon as they rehabilitate the tracks there

25. Marcial

At last PNR looks “pretty cool” and confortable to take a trip way back to Bicol..i can’t wait to try this out!

26. wow! you’re one of the first persons who’ve tried it! the rail skates is an added treat nung nagkaproblema sa riles sa may sipocot…hehehe! I’ll definitely try this soon! thanks for this very informative post! :)

27. ta-try namen itey nila Angel this July kaso wala na yung promo. =( mejo malake pala difference ng sleeper berth s reclining seats. hmmm. thanks for sharing! super nainggit ako nung makita ko mga pix at ikaw pa kaunaunahang naka-try sa PTB.=)

• Yup medyo malaki difference but its a lot comfortable din naman kasi pwede ka humiga. I was just excited to try it kaya na-una :P

28. Wow, this is really cool! Sana madagdagan pa ng ibang destinations… :) How many hours does it take going to Naga from Manila?

29. The official of the PNR as well as the the DPWH and DOTC should realizes the danger the train will make through accident to human and houses as well as properties near the railways along the way to destinations if , the local governement tried not to mind this situations for the safetiness of their locals who live near the railways .
    Sana naman tigilan nyo na ang papogi lang ang kayang gawin , isipin nyo rin ang kapakanan ng mga buhay ng tao na madadamay sa kapapapogi yo …

SUGGESTIONS :
    Both national and local government should plan ahead in clearing the railways areas ( both left and right side of the railways for safe travels …
    Governemt project under the implementation of the so called honorable politicians , engineers dept. head and mayors , as well as the governors and congressmaen should count not only the cost of the machines or equipment to be installed but also the safetiness it should be once in operations …
    Thanks ans more power…

30. great blog about the PNR-Bicol Express! ive just been to Bicol a few days from now and i enjoyed it so much! i would love to return and take another mode of transportation like the Hogwarts Express. ^^>

keep your blog updated! peeps will use this as their reference.

31. Wow! Looks impressive! :D Mabilis ba super ang takbo ng train? I’m planning to go to Bicol this coming long weekend and since medyo tight budget na parang gusto ko try to. :)

32. how come walang sumasagot sa phone number na nasa website?been calling since thursday para magpareserve ng seats for monday..

33. No one is answering tlga dun sa number bakit gnun…. may recording pro prang ghost station lang

34. Why the travel schedules have to be at night? Any idea? It would be better if it’s day time.

35. How shaky it is?hindi ba nkakatakot ung pagkashaky nya?mkakatulog ka nman ba?hehehe

36. Sir, kayo pala yung katabi namin sa Sleeper Coach nung Inaugural Run. :) Sa 1st picture nyo (picture ni 918), ako yung naka white polo na nakaupo XD

37. Hi there!

Very interesting and informative post. Thanks for sharing. Good speed.

bvaldez =)

38. im so happy ist time ko sumakay…masarap ang byahe sna meron n din s araw pr maganda mkita mu ang mga view habang nagbja2xhe………..mlamig p aircon nila….try nu na…. nxt ko sleppery me..

39. cocktail

YES, i want to see a breathtaking scenery view in day light.

40. Just wondering when PNR will run from Manila to Legaspi? I believe they now have trips between Tutuban and as far down south as Ligao. Sana naman before Christmas 2012 pwede nang mag-train papuntang Mayon :)

• Hi JR! Probably when they have finished rehabilitating the tracks there. I’d also like to see Mayon by Train :)

• Enjoyed looking at your travel photos. Somehow they reminded me of my passion for travel and photography too. Though I’ve never had any formal training, I could tell you got the gift to see real beauty everywhere. Pag nauna ka sa Mayon.. sana ikwento mo agad dito kasali na ang mga pictures. Good luck and have lotsa fun with your journey!

• Thanks JR! I really hope the PNR could finally reach Albay in the near future :D

41. carmina

panu po ba sasakay dyan?pupunta kasi kmi s legazpi sa long weekends…

42. abigail

hi ferdz.. hndi po b delikado ung mga dinadaan ng tren? kz s mga busses eh halos bangin lalo n bandang quezon…

43. Hi Ferdz, Thanks for sharing this. Nice photos :)

Do you have any suggestion on what to visit or do when in Naga? Are there nearby resorts there or leisure spots? Thanks!

• Naga is the main entry point for the CWC. There’s nothing much within the city but outside there are nature trails in Isarog park which you can try

44. planning to see the famous mayon volcano and would love to take the train going there … il be with friends and my daughter… is there a promo fare this december 26 or 27, 2012? will stay for the whole day fun filled day in mayon volcano … hope i can get a promo price for a barkada trip to see mayon volcano … many thanks … :-)

• I’m not aware of any promo fare on the train. Perhaps you can follow their twitter account for updates :)

45. ghie_0018

pa update naman po sana kami agad kung magkakaroon ng byahe manila to bicol this coming holy week.