Realizing the expansion of tourism and accessibility for everyone to freely fly, it’s not enough for Cebu Pacific Air (CEB) to just carry people from one destination to another. CEB aims to lessen the impact of tourist arrivals through its sustainable program called Juan Effect launched in August 2018. By partnering with government and local stakeholders Juan Effect contributes and raises environmental awareness to local communities and tourist in local destinations. Piloting the program is fast emerging tourist destination, Siargao.
Sustainable Tourism Components
Juan Effect is composed of three components:
- We advocate for each person to make simple pledges to help preserve the beauty of the Philippines’ most popular island destinations.
- We work with local stakeholders of select Philippine island destinations to achieve solid waste management targets, to pave the way for a more sustainable tourism industry.
- We implement even more environment-friendly processes in the airline, and invest accordingly.
Juan Effect Siargao
Kicking off the implementation in Siargao, a simple yet meaningful program was held a the boardwalk of General Luna. Key personalities joined DOT secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat in the ceremonies. An initial batch of 45 trash receptacles were handed over to the local community of Siargao. Collected trash will either be made into eco bricks or recycled.
Mural for Awareness
Part of making Juan Effect, effective is to keep the community aware of the importance of protecting their natural resources. Juan Effect collaborated with visual artist and muralist Anina Rubio who painted an underwater mural at the perimeter wall of Dapa Elementary School.
Advocates and Pledges
The day following the launch of Juan Effect in Siargao. Advocates Erwan Heussaf, Jasmine Curtis-Smith and Kyle “Kulas” Jennerman, joined DOT Sec Puyat to make their mark at the mural. Along with these, advocates shared their pledges which everyone can also follow and pledge themselves.
- “Always bring my own water bottle” – Erwan
- “Bring my own eco bag” – Jas
- “Dispose of trash properly” – Kulas
Join the advocates and make a pledge at www.juaneffect.com and stick to it!